Peanut allergy is one of the most common food allergies in the United States, especially in children. According to Food Allergy Research & Education (FARE), approximately 1 in 13 children have peanut allergy. It is important to be able to recognize if your child might have a food allergy.

Signs of a Food Allergy

If your child is experiencing any of the symptoms listed below after coming in contact with peanuts, they might have a food allergy to peanuts. It is important to note that an allergic reaction can happen anywhere from immediately to within 48 hours later.

Symptoms may include:

  • Hives (itching)
  • Swelling in the lips and/or tongue
  • Shortness of breath
  • Wheezing
  • Stomach cramps and/or vomiting
  • Cough
  • Diarrhea
  • Pale or blue coloring of the skin
  • Dizziness
  • Confusion

A severe allergic reaction is anaphylaxis. These symptoms may include throat swelling, pale skin or blue lips, impaired breathing, fainting, a feeling of dread, and a drop in blood pressure. This reaction is life-threatening and should be immediately treated with epinephrine.

Should I Test My Child?

If you suspect your child might have a peanut allergy, it is imperative to perform an allergy test. Experiencing a severe food allergy reaction without proper knowledge and immediate treatment can lead to life-threatening symptoms, called anaphylaxis. Even if your child has never had an anaphylactic reaction and just mild symptoms, that does not mean it is not possible to experience anaphylaxis.

National Allergy & ENT’s Research department is currently prescreening for a peanut allergy patch study. This study is for pediatrics with a peanut allergy. Treatment during research studies is of no charge, and you may be compensated for your time and travel. Insurance is not necessary to participate in a research study. If interested in helping bring about the future of peanut allergy treatment for pediatrics, please reach out to Michael at (843) 576-7485 or fill out an interest form online.