When suffering with ear pain, it can be difficult to know who to turn to. Can my primary care provider help, or do I need to turn to a specialist? When having to decide which provider is the right person for healthcare treatment, it is important to understand which provider can help with what. Deciding between an audiologist and an Otolaryngologist (ENT) can be tricky because it can be hard to differentiate the two. here are some differences and similarities between audiologists and ENTs.


Audiologists and ENTs (ear, nose, and throat) both treat issues of the ear canal and inner ear. They can make diagnoses and provide treatments. Both can help a patient with excessive earwax, balance problems, tinnitus, and hearing loss problems.


The main difference between audiologists and ENTs is that audiologists focus specifically on treating patients suffering from auditory conditions. Audiologists utilize equipment like audiometers to better diagnose a patient’s hearing loss or balance issues. They can fit their patients their patients with hearing aids or cochlear implants. They provide non-medical treatments when treating hearing problems. If there is a physical cause of hearing loss, such as autoimmune diseases, then an ENT will step in to provide medical treatment.

An ENT is a physician who is trained to treat patients with disorders and diseases of the ear, nose, throat, and related areas of the neck and head. They are trained to provide medical and surgical treatments. This includes surgeries to correct a deviated septum, a cleft palate, and many other surgeries. Many ENTs also provide cosmetic surgeries as well.

If you are concerned about a medical issue with your ears, nose, or throat, and need medical treatment that audiologists can’t provide, an ENT will be able to provide you with the best possible care and treatment options. Dr. Joseph Russell at National Allergy & ENT has experience treating all ear, nose, and throat related issues, as well as vast surgical experience. For more information on Dr. Russell, please visit his profile. If you are interested in scheduling an appointment with Dr. Russell, you can call (843) 576-3302 or send an appointment request online.

Source: Difference Between Audiologist & ENT