ENT Doctor | What is an ENT Doctor?


An ENT Doctor is a physician that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions affecting the ears, nose, and throat. The medical word for this type of doctor is an Otolaryngologist, but most people are much more comfortable with saying ENT as you can imagine. ENT practice is the oldest specialty in the U.S., and the practice covers much more than ear infections and tonsillitis.


What Conditions Does Can They Treat?


An ENT specialist treats many different conditions that affect the ears, nose, throat, including:

  • Allergies
  • Ear infections
  • Hearing problems
  • Ear problems
  • Balance disorders
  • Sinus problems and chronic sinusitis
  • Issues affecting the larynx (voice box)
  • Nasal congestion problems
  • Speech disorders
  • Swallowing disorders
  • Sleep apnea
  • Sleep disorders
  • Head and neck cancers
  • Facial trauma
  • Thyroid disorders
  • Tumors
  • Acid reflux
  • Surgery specialists
  • Deformities of the ears, nose, or throat


Because ear, nose and throat doctors have to insert ear tubes, remove tonsils, and perform sinus surgeries, they are also skilled surgeons.


Schooling for ENT Doctors


These doctors usually have 15 years or more of college to look forward to being certified. You’ll need to complete an undergraduate degree, go to medical school, complete at least five years in residency getting post-graduate training, and further training on specific specialties. Most ENT has at least one specialty such as allergy treatment, pediatric otolaryngology, sleep disorders, or nose diseases. They can also have a surgical specialty such as reconstructive surgery, cosmetic surgery, head and neck surgery, and general surgery.


Many go on to work for themselves and open their own practice while others go on to work for physician groups or hospitals.


How to Get An Appointment with An ENT Doctor


Most insurance companies require a referral from your primary care physician before they will cover specialists, so it is recommended that you start there, or if you have visited the ER for issues related to ears, nose, or throat, request a referral from the ER doctor for a follow up with an ENT specialist. You can also call your insurance and see what your coverage is and then call around to ENT doctors yourself to book an appointment.


If you’re ready to book an appointment with a doctor in Charleston, call the National Allergy and ENT at (843) 797-8162 or click here.