ENT Doctor | Why Chronic Ear Infections Require an ENT Doctor

ENT Doctor | Chronic ear infections are ear infections that do not heal. Recurring ear infections are often confused for chronic ear infections; however, both require that you see an ENT doctor in West Ashley.

What Causes Chronic Ear Infections?

When the Eustachian tube in the middle ear becomes plugged, an infection can occur. The fluid builds up because of the blockage and can press on the eardrum, which causes pain. When an ear infection remains untreated, or the buildup happens rapidly, it can cause the eardrum to rupture.

Chronic ear infections can happen in adults but are much more common in children because their Eustachian tubes are smaller and are a bit horizontal, which can make draining more difficult.

Symptoms of Chronic Ear Infection

Chronic ear infections can lead to problems with hearing and even cause deafness if not treated which is why if you experience any of the symptoms of chronic ear infections you need to contact an ENT doctor in West Ashley.

  • Pressure or clogged feeling in the ear
  • Any level of ear pain
  • Fluid draining from ears
  • Fever
  • Loss of hearing
  • Sleeping difficulties
  • Issues with balance

Most people go to their primary care doctor when they are experiencing the symptoms of an ear infection. Your doctor might refer you to an ENT doctor in West Ashley if your ear infection is not responding to treatment or you start to get new symptoms.

Treating Chronic Ear Infections

Chronic ear infections always require medical intervention. An ENT doctor in West Ashley may prescribe antibiotics or ear drops to treat an infection. Sometimes surgical intervention is needed to insert a small tube in the ear that has chronic ear infections. Tubes help the ears to drain and reduce the number of ear infections. Some patients with chronic ear infections never experience an ear infection again while tubes are in place.

If you are ready to start discussing your chronic ear infections with an ENT doctor in West Ashley, call the National Allergy & ENT at 843-797-8162.