Allergy And Ent Doctor | Asthma Tips: 3 Ways to Teach Kids to Use Inhalers

Allergy And Ent Doctor | It can be scary when your child is diagnosed with asthma and is prescribed an inhaler. For parents who don’t have asthma themselves, it can be an entirely new world in how to properly use an inhaler. Here are 3 ways to help kids use their inhalers correctly:

Use a Spacer

Many allergy and asthma doctors will prescribe a spacer along with an inhaler. A spacer is simply a tube that holds the medicine so that your child can breathe in the correct dosage. Younger kids will benefit more from using spacers as it allows more time for them to breathe in the required medicine. As your child grows, and becomes more accustomed to their inhaler, the need for a spacer will diminish.

Create a Routine

Using an inhaler can be scary for little ones who have been diagnosed with asthma. Make sure that your child is not upset or nervous by creating a routine that you will follow every time they need to use their inhaler. Practice without the medicine at first in order to get your child use to the idea. Consider breathing two times with the inhaler in their mouth and then administering the medicine on the third breath. Having your child do this routine will make your child more comfortable with using an inhaler.

Clearly Mark It

Every inhaler comes with a plastic holder that has the medicine on one end and the mouth piece on the other. Many allergy and asthma doctors will prescribe two different types of inhalers: rescue and daily. Make sure that the holders are clearly marked so that your child will know the difference on which inhaler to use. Consider wrapping the plastic holder in colorful tape or purchasing different colored holders to easily identify the difference.

Children who use inhalers will quickly get use to the idea of using them. Follow these tips on creating a routine, using a spacer, and clearly marking the inhalers so that you and your child are comfortable with it. If you suspect that your child has asthma, contact the allergy and asthma doctors at the National Allergy and ENT office in your area.