Allergy and ENT | 3 Common Types of Allergy Medication

Allergy and ENT | When you struggle with allergies, you may think that an allergist will prescribe an over the counter medication like Benadryl to help provide some relief. However, there are many different options that an allergy doctor can use in order to get you back to feeling better. Here are 3 common types of medications that an allergy doctor may prescribe:


This is the most common form of allergy treatment is an antihistamine which helps to combat the histamine that has triggered your allergy reaction. Histamines are a natural chemical that your body produces when it has been irritated that make your body swell, itch, or react to a substance. An antihistamine works to block those histamines in order to stop the reaction. Some popular antihistamines include Cetirizine (aka Zyrtec), Desloratadine (aka Clarinex), and Diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl).


This prescription drug is used mostly to help prevent wheezing or shortness of breath in relation to asthma. Since allergies can irritate the airways and can cause asthmatic symptoms, montelukasts are often used to help combat irritants to prevent an asthma attack that was started from an allergic reaction. Montelukast works by blocking leukotrienes, which is a natural substance in the body that can make allergies or asthma worse. Singulair is a popular montelukast that is used for those who suffer from asthma. Unlike antihistamines which work after a reaction, montelukast are taken daily to prevent a reaction.

Nasal Sprays

Another common medication that is used by those who suffer from allergic reactions is nasal sprays. They come in both prescription and over the counter forms and work to release a blockage in the nasal cavity. Nasal sprays like Flonase have corticosteroids as their active ingredient which prevents and relieve sneezing, stuffiness, itching, or a runny nose.
Allergies are fairly common and your allergy doctor will be able to help guide you with the best medication to fit your specific needs.


Talk to your allergy doctor about these options next time you visit the National Allergy & ENT Center.